- About Us
- Career Center
|Careers at WSPA|
The Washington State Pharmacy Association (WSPA) is a professional trade association representing pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, student pharmacists and pharmacies which provide care to patients in hospitals, clinics, nursing homes and community pharmacies. The WSPA exists to advocate on behalf of its members to ensure pharmacy professionals are engaged, and valued as essential to the healthcare team to optimize patient outcomes. Our vision is all pharmacy professionals are utilized in all practice settings to improve the health and well-being of all patients in Washington State. We strive to advance quality and safe health care through supporting member success in providing patient-focused and outcome-oriented pharmacy practice. This will remain open until 10/14/2015.
Position Title: Director of External Affairs and Strategic Initiatives
• Job Category: Non-Profit /Trade Association
• Job Class: Full Time Annual Contract Renewable
• Location: Renton, Washington
• Posting Date: 10/7/2015
• Collaborate with the government relations team to develop and execute proactive advocacy strategies to effectively position the association at the state and federal levels.
• Develop and recommend political, legislative, and regulatory positions; monitor public policy issues affecting the pharmacy industry; and drive advocacy initiatives to advance the association’s objectives.
• Collaborate with communications team to develop and implement messaging strategies to support advocacy initiatives.
• Cultivate relationship and represent the association before policymakers, opinion leaders, government agencies, coalition partners, and other stakeholders.
• Engage association members in policy and political initiatives.
• Serve as a thought partner to the CEO with responsibilities for developing, coordinating, facilitating, and executing cross-organizational strategic initiatives and special projects.
• Support the CEO and board members in developing the association’s short and long-term strategic plans.
• Collaborate with CEO and board members to assess unmet or underserved needs of association; perform analyses to improve competitive position; optimize internal operational performance; and develop best practices.
• Support association growth by identifying new business opportunities that enhances non-dues revenues and create value for association members.
• Minimum of 10+ years of combined experience in healthcare working on policy, politics, government relations, consulting, and/or strategic planning. In-depth knowledge of healthcare issues including health reform, industry trends, and clinical processes.
• Master’s degree or advance degree in business or health management. Training in continuous improvement processes such as LEAN and Six Sigma highly desired.
• Experience in leadership role involving planning and implementing initiatives; and effectively leading internal constituents and stakeholders to achieve desired outcomes.
• Strong understanding of state and federal political, legislative, and regulatory processes with extensive experience building relationships with elected officials and policymakers; working with government agencies; and collaborating with internal constituents and external stakeholders.
• Experience in strategic planning with abilities to conceptualize and articulate vision, and determine next steps. Strategic-thinker with business background, develop consensus on recommended decisions, and effectively lead organization change.
• Prior experience working in trade association with understanding of association’s governance structure and mission.
• Excellent oral and verbal and written communication and interpersonal relationship skills. Strong presentation and customer service skills.
Compensation commensurate with experience, full health care benefit package, pension, generous sick and vacation leave in a business casual atmosphere. Applicants should send a resume, cover letter, and two professional references to: email@example.com.